Thursday, February 22, 2007

Flare up vs symptom

I would hope after 10 years (almost) living with MS, I would know the difference between a flare up and a symptom. Right now, I am probably having a flare up BUT it is so minor, I am not going to my neurologist.

The top part of my hand is temperature sensitive. Back when I had my very first flare up, my leg was temperature sensitive. So much so that when my dress brushed up on it, I felt pain as if someone had just put a really hot iron on my leg. So my hand is pretty similar to this - though not as severe. And because I have gone through this feeling before (when it was worse) without any drugs (because they didn't know it was MS) and it eventually went away, I am waiting it out. And I think it is getting better.

Should I have just gone to the neurologist. I weighed the pros and cons and the cons won out. I thought of two reasons to go see the doctor. 1 - He MIGHT give me a steroid that would help make the sensitivity go away quickly and 2 - This flare-up MIGHT be a pre-cursor to a bigger flare-up and if he gave me any steroids, it might cut off the Big flare-up before it started. But I had about 10 reasons not to go. 1- When I had my flare ups when I was pregnant, they were MUCH worse and his advice was to wait & see if it got better because he'd rather not give me any medicine being pregnant 2- When I got Prednisone back in 2001 for a flare-up of my leg, it didn't really make it go away any faster than it did without drugs in 1997. 3 - Steroids make me wake up early and with the two girls, I'd like to sleep as much as possible. And if he gave me Ambien or something to help with the sleep problem, I wouldn't want to take it because then I might not hear them if they needed me. 4- Ok, minor reason. It is a pain to schlep the girls to the doctors office. 5 - If the feeling started to progress beyond just my hand, I could always see him within 24 hours.

Ok so I may have exaggerated the 10 reasons but it was enough to make me wait it out and I think I made the right call because it still feels different, but only slightly. Someone asked me how do you know what to do. And I think the answer is it depends on you. MS is such an individual thing. Another person with MS I was talking to said "It is your body and you know what makes sense." I agree now that I have been living with MS for 10 years and have gone through 5 flare-ups. But had this happened in January 1998, I probably would have gone to see the neurologist because I wouldn't have know what to do. I think one of the most frustrating things about MS is a lot of the answers are "It depends."

I think I have babbled enough already. As my younger daughter says - nigh-nigh.

Kristin

Disclaimer - Anything I write about is my personal story and should not be taken as advice for what to do yourself. MS is a very individual disease - what works for 1 person may not work for the next. I am not a doctor and if you have any medical concerns or needs, you should consult yours.

1 comment:

GingerMillerWright said...

I realize you wrote this awhile ago but it has given me some direction. I was dx about a year ago and just had a baby 2 mos ago. Feeling kind of cruddy and thinking of calling my dr again...just finished acthar gel and did not help.