Monday, October 1, 2007

I did IT!

On September 28, 29 & 30th, 2007, I, along with approximately 350 others, walked 50 miles in the MS Challenge Walk here in D.C. This was my second year doing it (it was the events 5th year). What an experience! I recommend it to anyone – if you have MS, a loved one has MS, a friend has MS. It is the best event the MS Society puts on because it REALLY brings the mission to end the devastating effects of MS home.

I have been blessed to be able to participate in a lot of the fundraising events for the MS Society over the years. I was talking to a guy during the walk and realized that I have participated in 17 events (10 MS 150Ks, 5 MS Walks & 2 MS Challenge Walks). And the MS Challenge Walk exceeds the others for me hands down. The walk is hard and I would say it is not for everyone except that there were people using walkers at the start and the finish and that is all they walked. One woman used a scooter for all 50 miles and then walked to the finish line using her walker. So the event is for everyone, even if you don’t walk the 50 miles and walk 2 blocks instead. The event is so well staffed that you don’t have to worry about assistance because it is there all the time. From the SAG (Support and Gear) vehicles driving by with their thumbs up every 5 minutes or so to the guys & gals who stop the traffic so you can cross a busy street to your fellow walkers (with cell phones), you know you are going to be ok.

The best part of the weekend for me was the Candlelight Service on Saturday night. Here, a few selected people got up and talked about why they are participating in the event. I won’t go into any details of what was said but just focus on the underlying theme. And that theme is hope. Everyone has the hope that by walking, they are helping to find a cure so the devastating effects of this disease will be taken away from themselves, their spouses, their sons/daughters, their moms/dads, their friends.

You get a sign that you can wear for the weekend that says why you are walking. I said “I am walking for my family.” I walked so that I can keep playing “chase” with the girls. I walked so I can keep being the same wife my husband married 11 years ago. And most dear to my heart, I walked so researchers have the financial means to find a cure so the girls (E & A) do not get this disease when they get older. I know the risks are still very small that E & A would get MS, but the risks are double that of the general population. So if I can do my part to help find a cure in 15 years (when E turns 20), so that neither of my daughters get MS, I am going to do everything I can to do so.

Now the one limitation to the walk is the fundraising minimum. I heard from quite a few people that said they could do the walk, but couldn’t raise the money. It may vary by chapter and our chapter’s minimum is $1,500 which is a lot of money. But the MS Society helps out with the fundraising by giving you ideas on what to do. I was very blessed by generous friends and family this year in that I raised over $8,000. I know I probably could have done more if I had started earlier. I am often amazed at what people are willing and able to donate. Someone gives you $100 because their sister has MS and you didn’t even know it. It really is amazing because as you walk, you know you have the support of all of the people who donated on your behalf and that helps you to keep walking. I am so thankful for all of my friends and family that gave me their support.

So if you are able, you should check out the MS Challenge Walk, you won’t be disappointed.

5 comments:

Synchronicity said...

this is wonderful...i would like to do this too. i will definitely have to check it out.

Pond Mom said...

It really is an amazing event. It is hard to do all 50 miles but to be a part of any of it is so rewarding. I actually wrote a song about it but I am going through the copywright process and and soon as that is finished, I will hopefully be able to post.

Unknown said...

Kristin, you were amazing and an ispriation to me as I walked. . I do not have MS, but doubted this old body and bad feet, however I completed the walk for the 2nd year. Ispiration was a big motivator. Another challenge was the communal sleeping. However, I wouldn't trade the opportunity to sleep, eat, laugh and cry with 350 people with a common cause. By the 3rd day we were family.

Synchronicity said...

hey there...just checking in to see if you are doing okay.

Pond Mom said...

We had Strep throat go through our house last week so I am behind in my posts. I just posted one now. Everyone is on antibiodics so all is well. Thanks for your concern. I have a VER test for the MS tomorrow so we will see how that goes.

Thank you for your concern! Hope all is well with you.