Friday, April 6, 2007

The MS Walk

I am a very lucky person. I was taking with my mom today and she wanted to know if I was raising money for the MS Walk. I am through donations/fundraiser in my neighborhood. But, my response to her was - no, I will send letters for the MS 150K and Challenge Walk but the MS Walk is ONLY 8 miles.

Only 8 miles. Eight miles will be tiring, but not as tiring as the 50-mile walk I am planning to do in September. I know quite a few people living with MS that would slap me on the head for saying it was "only" anything. I know I am lucky that I am as fit as I am. But although my feet have no burden, there is a big one in my heart.

Many years ago (7 or 8 probably), I was asked by the MS Society to distribute MS Walk brochures to a support group local to my house and to see if anyone was interested in coming out and cheering on the walkers. I was running late from my job for the meeting. I went running in to the meeting carrying a box full of brochures. And what I was greeted with scared me, angered me, made me feel guilty & blessed. Most of the attendees of the group were utilizing some form of a mobility device. Many were older, but a few were in their 30s I would guess. After seeing everyone, I decided I would keep my own diagnosis to myself and only represent the Society. Except that I knew the support group leader and he questioned me in such a way that ended up "outing" me to the group. I wasn't trying to keep it secret, I just felt so bad. Here I was running where almost all of the attendees had trouble walking. Why was I so lucky and they were not? Did they hate me because I did not have any visible symptoms of the disease? Did I make anyone there feel bad without any intention of doing such a thing? Life just didn't seem fair. I stayed for the whole support group meeting but felt like aside from everyone being diagnosed with MS, that was where our similarities ended. I have the ability to walk 8 or 50 miles or ride 50 miles (due to lack of training time with two little ones). I was working full-time (60+ hrs a week) then. I was only married a couple of years. I didn't have any common MS problems.

I guess I decided back then that walking/riding will be my contribution since I know so many who can't. So next time when someone comments on the Walk, I won't say it is "Only" 8 miles.
I will tell them of the my friends who can't or who do the walk on a scooter. And I will try not to feel bad when asking for donations for my participation in these events. I feel bad when I ask because it does help me. But it helps so many others just as much if not more.

No comments: