Monday, April 9, 2007

Time to Remember!

Well tomorrow is my anniversary! Ten (10) years since my first MS attack. I think I can remember it so well, but probably time has altered what really happened.

It was 6 am or so and the alarm went off. I went to get out of bed to take a shower. I needed to go to the office before I went to my client that day so I had to get up early. My husband (of 6 months at the time) wrapped his leg around mine and said that I didn’t have to get up so soon but I did. When I put my right foot down, there it was – pins and needles. And it was there for my shower, my getting ready for work, my driving to the office and my subsequent drive to the client. At the client, the sensation started to creep up my leg, then to my waist and finally to my bustline. And every time my sundress hit my leg, it would feel as if a hot iron or pot had just hit my leg instead.

Here is where the memory doesn’t make sense. I remember calling my sister on my car phone. I remember going one direction but in retrospect, I had to be going the other direction. She said I should go to the ER because I could have a blood clot. Well, being 24, invincible and stupid in retrospect, I went to Dave & Busters for the “End of Busy Season” party the office was having. But after having a great time at D&B’s, at 10 pm or so, I did go to the ER. Being that I didn’t look like I was serious, it took over 2 hours to get to go see a doctor. He did his tests and said I did not have a blood clot. It was probably a pinched nerve and it would work itself out. BUT, if I still had the tingling after a week or it went higher than my bustline or into my other leg, I should see my primary care physician.

Well one week later, I was at my primary cares office. My doctor’s hands were cold. But every time she touched me I cringed because they were hot to me. Thank goodness, she realized something was not right and referred me to see a neurologist. Insurance being what it was, two weeks later I got my referral visit with my neurologist. He ran his tests – touch your finger to my finger and then your nose and then back & forth, etc. and I passed with flying colors (I think – and why wouldn’t I, the problem was in my right leg & foot, not my hand or nose). But when he said, hold your leg up while I try to push it down. I couldn’t keep it up. And I recall saying something to the effect that I needed to exercise more. But he nodded and said he wanted to run more tests. He added that the fact the sensation had disappeared was a good sign.

That’s when I went in with the killer question. I then asked him if it was ok to ride in the MS 150K the next weekend because I was a team captain and I was feeling fine. Maybe memory is playing tricks on me but I could have sworn that he then glanced up with a surprised look and said that I could ride but if I was tired I should take a rest and not push myself. Well I did the ride the next weekend. Only walked ½ way up one hill and rode all 100 miles. And when I rode under the balloon arch at the end of the second day, I almost cried because I thought to myself that I could have just ridden for myself. Less than 2 months later, I found out I had MS.

No comments: